The digital environment is becoming the most vulnerable space for companies as many work processes are relocated there. Critical information that was previously locked away in a vault can now be easily accessed by experienced hackers should their protection prove easier than their talents. The Security Operations Center (SOC) is a team of professionals that no hacker or unscrupulous employee can get past. By monitoring your organization’s digital environment 24/7, SOC is both a deterrent against insider attacks and a strong defense against outside intruders.
SOC’s mission in the world of digital interactions
The Cyber Security Operations Center offers comprehensive protection for companies and other organizations against:
- Interventions in transmitted and stored information.
- Interventions in the digital space of a company to change certain blocks of information.
- Cyber attacks carried out for the purpose of extortion and other reasons.
Business Security Outsourcing: Can You Do Without It?
The successful implementation of these tasks requires:
- An integrated approach
- Latest hardware and software
- Experienced employees who not only witness a cyber attack, but can also prevent it
It was the need for such focused specialization that led to the idea of creating a SOC as a service. Since the professional approach implies that employees must be prepared for the most unexpected moves of scammers and cyberterrorists, they must constantly expand their knowledge in their field and learn how to use the latest software that is always ahead of the attackers. The creation of an outsourced SOC made it possible to create ideal conditions in which the three main components guarantee success in combating cyber threats:
- The latest and most capable equipment needed for comprehensive surveillance.
- The most advanced software that reliably protects any business or organization.
- Talented and professionally trained employees who are up to any task.
In the corporate context, setting up an IT security operations center would require too much effort for all three components: equipment, software and the intellectual potential of the employees. Therefore, using SOC as a Service is an ideal solution for a rational company that is aware that the more successful it becomes, the more likely it is that cyber attacks will be directed.
Key features supported by the Security Operations Center
In order to reliably protect every company, the SOC team implements three main functions with the best software:
- Monitoring the company’s network information environment and identifying all kinds of anomalies. It is performed on user behavior to detect atypical patterns, network traffic to detect bursts of activity, and endpoints.
- Manual analysis of the anomalies identified to determine their nature and find the best solution to neutralize them. Analytical work allows not only to give the best response to the current threat, but also to develop a set of measures that will help avoid it in the future.
- Responding to cyber threats involves selecting and implementing the best steps to neutralize the actions of intruders and make them available for further work by law enforcement agencies.
Effective structure of the Security Operations Center
A cyber defense system only works perfectly if all of its structural elements are optimally coordinated. For example, a businessman can buy the most advanced software but have no employees who can use it. Or, on the contrary, having the most highly qualified IT specialists on board, but shying away from acquiring the necessary expensive equipment. The structure of the SOC providers is ideal in this respect and includes the following components:
- Specialists who are up to the toughest challenges
- Advanced tools like SIEM, logging, packet analyzer and forensics kits
- Processes that ensure the interaction of all elements of the system for protection against cyber threats. This not only includes the competent and timely handling of the employees with the programs and each other, but also the handling of the programs among themselves. This is especially important in a situation where multiple software is used.
Typical job roles in the Security Operations Center
By contacting the German expert in the field of cybersecurity DIESEC, your company can count on a full range of SOC services for its information protection. A whole team will work on the implementation of this task, which includes the following positions:
- Analysts: Specialists directly involved in monitoring network processes and identifying and evaluating anomalies.
- Engineers monitor the quality work of hardware and software. They regularly update all programs and introduce new devices as soon as they appear in the cyber services market.
- Managers ensure the coordination of all processes and the development of a cybersecurity strategy for each specific client. They also provide an organization’s response to identified threats.
- The head of the Security Operations Center is responsible for the complex coordination of the work of all departments and for the qualitative implementation of the mission of the center. He/she is the representative of the SOC services in the business world and forms a strategic vision for the future and the current tasks of the centre.
The automation of possible routine processes, possibly coupled with manual analysis, guarantees the optimal number of employees in the SOC and an efficient distribution of work.
In order to guarantee the reliable protection of its customers, DIESEC continuously implements two mandatory tasks:
- Invests in the development and acquisition of the latest technologies that respond to the latest cybersecurity challenges.
- trains its employees to use this software. Since the cyber market actively reacts to newly emerging threats, one of the focal points of DIESEC’s work is the ongoing training of employees.
Today, most large organizations have at least one effective security operations center. The largest corporations even have several SOCs. However, less affluent companies cannot afford to support the operation of such a resource-intensive center. For them, an outsourced SOC is the best choice that allows them to build reliable personalized protection around their information space with a low payment for the SOC as a service.